Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Tyler Perry Slated to Star in NONTyler Perry Studios Production

I was browsing through my timeline on Twitter Tuesday morning when I saw Tyler Perry’s name appear in a few tweets.  Assuming it was something funny, I read a little closer.  Phrases like, “Tyler Perry as a leading man” and “Idris Elba should not lose roles to Tyler Perry” jumped out at me.  I didn’t know the full story but I knew it couldn't be good.
                So like the glutton for punishment I am, I did a quick Google search for Mr. Perry. My search brought up one article and the headline jumped out at me: “Tyler Perry to play Alex Cross” Okay, this was bad and getting much worse. I read on: Tyler Perry has signed on to play the role of Alex Cross -- the crime-solving D.C. detective in James Patterson's seemingly never-ending series of popular novels -- in a new movie called "I, Alex Cross." The article later made a passing reference to Idris Elba who was originally slated to take on the title role.
I admit that I've never read a James Patterson novel. I didn't even see the first Alex Cross film that starred Morgan Freeman. I don't think it's that relevant. Here is the main issue at hand: Tyler Perry is set to star in a movie that he didn't write, direct, or produce(for now—who knows if that'll change). He is set to star in a movie that takes him outside of Madea's orthopedic shoes and gray wig. Perry is set to star in a movie that will require real acting. Real acting...from Tyler Perry!! Much like Spike Lee, Tyler Perry has a tendency to cast himself in just about every film he released. This is unfortunate because, well, Perry's acting leaves a lot to be desired. His performances rely on lots of grinning and laughing. That is not exactly the foundation of an effective actor.
I don't mean to sound like a conspiracy theorist, but something about this whole situation seems suspicious. Idris Elba is highly regarded in the acting community as a outstanding performer. So how did he end up losing a role to Tyler Perry?! Did someone look at the two and honestly think, “Never mind Elba's impressive resume. Tyler Perry is our man!” I'm sorry. I can't believe that. I refuse to believe that. What I do believe is that Perry's bank account coupled with his clout are powerful resources in Hollywood. And I will leave it at that.
Needless to say, if this movie does come out I probably will not see it. I'm trying to imagine Perry playing a detective and I'm drawing a blank. That can't be a good sign. But like I said, I'm a glutton for punishment. I'll read all the reviews and, if I can suspend my disbelief, maybe I'll spend a dollar to rent it from Redbox. Maybe.

Dearest readers, what are your thoughts about Mr. Perry getting more involved in the world of acting?
Would you consider seeing this movie?
Am I being too hard on him/too cynical?
I'd love to hear from you!

Source

4 comments:

  1. I saw the TP twitter references too. I assumed it was for another was on his awful movies. I've read James Patterson's Alex Cross series...not bad. Morgan Freeman was good (as usual) in the movie versions but I thought he was a bit older than I imagined from the books. Idris Elba would have been nice to look at. I really can't see Tyler in this role.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, my boss read the books and mentioned that Alex Cross is a young man w/ small children. I just can't see Perry being a good fit. Father and detective?? No. Elba, in my opinion, has more edge and would make the most of the part.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yet in I, Alex Cross, I believe he was getting on in age. I've read most of his adventures. I am interested in seeing what Perry does with this. Hopefully he doesn't screw it up. I like that he is flexing his acting chops because Medea was getting old...FAST!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So we've established that Freeman was too old. If you're right about the age jump in I, Alex Cross, does that put Perry at just the right age range?

    Aww. You have hope for him. You're obvious a nicer person than I am. LOL.

    ReplyDelete