Tuesday, February 22, 2011

The Media Elitist Reviews...I Am Number Four

  **Warning:Mild Spoilers**
    Generally speaking, I am not a fan of action movies. Elaborate chase scenes and dramatic fight sequences do little to impress me.  So imagine my surprise when I found the previews for I Am Number Four intriguing.  Imagine my further surprise when, after seeing the movie Friday evening, I realized that I really enjoyed it.

   Now let's be clear: I Am Number Four is far from a masterpiece.  It spends far too long providing backgrounds stories for the main characters and establishing the romantic relationship between Number Four aka John Smith(Alex Pettyfer) and Sara( Glee's Dianna Agron). However, the film truly shines when creating a sense of suspense and keeping viewers(at least this viewer) on the edge of their seats.  Alas, I am getting ahead of myself.  The premise of the movie is this:

   The planet Lorien was destroyed by the Mogadorians invaders.  Because of this, nine babies were sent to Earth to escape their terror.  Years have passed and the Mogadorians are hunting down the elite children of Lorien, one by one. One through Three are dead and now they are hunting down Number Four.  Assisting him is Henri(Timothy Olyphant), his assigned protector and Sam(Callan McAuliffe),the son of a Lorien supporter.  The Mogadorians kill Henri, leaving Number Four to fully come into his powers and use them protect himself and his loved ones.

   This is where the film picks up drastically.  Number Four is evading the police and Mogadorians at every turn, his safety remaining questionable.  He meets up with Number Six and the two join forces in a raging battle against the Mogadorian soldiers. It is a fast-paced swirl of constant action as the two use their powers of super strength, speed, energy infused hands, and control over the elements in their battle against their enemy. There are many close calls but in the end Number Four and Number Six are victorious in their endeavors. They even get a clue leading them to another one of their fellow Lorien survivors(which, of course, leaves the door wide open for a sequel).

   All in all, I felt this flick was quite enjoyable.  The action sequences were engaging (also terrifying at times) and everything leading up to it had me holding my breath in anticipation.  While the acting wasn't exactly memorable, the actors played their roles with a certain level of comfort.  I would have loved more background information on the planet Lorien and the journey of the nine children to Earth.  Hopefully this will get addressed in future projects.


I Am Number Four is a pretty interesting film.  If you get a chance to see it, please share your thoughts here!

No comments:

Post a Comment